Safety & Library Spaces
In-person access to Hesburgh Library is limited to current members of Notre Dame, Saint Mary’s, and Holy Cross College communities.
As a condition of returning to campus, community members are required to follow the COVID-19 related policies and requirements established by the University of Notre Dame.
Correct use of face coverings and physical distancing must be observed in all library spaces throughout the duration of your visit. Please only visit our spaces if you have been issued a green pass for the day on the Return to Campus Advisor Tool.
Stay on the right and follow on-site signage as you move through the building and between floors and take the stairs whenever possible.
If you have special concerns, learn more about student accommodations and faculty/staff accommodations for University COVID-19-related requirements. Remember, you can always consult with subject librarians and specialists, ask questions via chat, or email email@example.com from any remote location.
Food & Drink Policy
- Food is not allowed in library spaces until further notice.
- Drinks are allowed while you are seated. Face coverings may be briefly removed in order to sip drinks, but please be aware of others and maintain physical distancing.
- Per University guidance users should eat exclusively either outside at a strict physical distance or in their residence hall rooms.
Reserve a Study Seat or Computer
- To help you plan your visit, check occupancy levels and reserve a seat, computer, or study room.
- All first floor seating and computers are walk-in use only.
- Seats, computers, and rooms may be reserved up to two weeks in advance.
- You must check in for your reservation within the first 15 minutes of your reservation, or your seat will be released for other people to reserve.
- To check in, scan the QR code or visit https://libcal.library.nd.edu/r/checkin and enter your confirmation code.
- Please leave immediately if someone arrives with an existing reservation.
- All seating and computer stations have been arranged with care to accommodate social distancing. In some cases, table top plastic barriers are used for space separation. Please leave tables and chairs in their original arrangement.
- Hand sanitizer is available near computer stations and labs.
- Individuals are strongly encouraged to wipe the keyboard and mouse before each use with the cleaning supplies provided.
- More information about reserving study seats, computers, and study rooms.
Enter & Exit
- In-person access to Hesburgh Library is limited to current members of Notre Dame, Saint Mary’s, and Holy Cross College communities.
- Have your ID with you at all times.
- When appropriate, follow the instructions on the card reader for access and assistance.
- South Entrance is closed until further notice.
- Use the Enter and Exit doors only as designated.
- Stay on the right as you enter and exit the building.
Circulation & Service Desks
Use our many low-contact services, including:
- Self check machines located on the 1st and 10th Floors
- Self service hold shelf
- Book return
- Zoom Ask Us Desk: Get walk-up virtual help in real time, Monday to Friday 9:00am – 5:00pm.
- Review Mobile scanning app options
If you need in-person assistance, please contact us by phone or email, or by using the Zoom Ask Us Desk. If in-person assistance is required after a virtual consultation, a staff member will come out to the service desk.
Mahaffey Business Library
- Mahaffey Business Library is closed for in-person access. For those who need remote access to expertise and digital resources, please use Ask a Business Librarian for research and course support.
- The Music Library accessible by appointment only. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for appointments, research, and course support.
- Properly worn face coverings are required at all service desks.
- Please remain a minimum of 6 feet from any person offering service or consultations.
- While waiting in line for services, practice physical distancing by standing in line where indicated by floor decals.
- If you have special concerns, learn more about student accommodations and faculty/staff accommodations for University COVID-19-related requirements.
- Please use the stairs whenever possible to move between floors. Elevators are limited to two occupants per cab. Stand on the decals.
- While waiting for elevators, stand in line where indicated by floor decals.
- Stay on the right when entering and exiting elevator cabs.
- Individuals exiting elevator cabs have the right-of-way.
- Hand sanitizer is available in every elevator lobby.
Please use the stairs when possible.
- Always stay on the right, follow onsite signage, and maintain physical distance when using stairways.
- If a wide enough pathway does not exist to maintain 6 feet of physical distance, the person traveling down the stairs has the right-of-way.
- Hand sanitizer is available near stairway entrances and exits.
Browse the Stacks
When feasible, we strongly encourage you to browse the catalog online first.
- Please wash your hands with soap and water or use hand sanitizer before and after you browse the stacks.
- Do not reshelve the books you touch—place them in the designated book bins. We will safely reshelve them for you in accordance with our evidence-based materials handling procedures.
- Wear your face covering correctly and practice social distancing with others in the same and adjacent aisles. You might need to wait at the end of the shelf if someone else is already browsing.
- Individuals exiting a narrow shelf area have the right-of-way.
- Hand sanitizer is available in the elevator lobby and throughout the stacks.
- Where feasible, restroom doors will remain open to limit high touch surfaces. Individuals exiting the restroom have the right-of-way. Please wait at designated decals, if necessary.
- Maintain at least 6 feet of distance in restrooms.
- Wash your hands thoroughly before and after each use of the restroom.
- Hand dryers have been disabled. Please use paper towels and dispose of them properly.
- Only use alternating sinks when washing hands in a restroom.
- Only use alternating urinals in men's restrooms.
- Tower restrooms have a maximum capacity of one. Please wait at designated decals, if necessary.
Clean & Disinfect Spaces
- In addition to increased cleaning by the Building Services team, cleaning and disinfecting supplies will be available for use by any University community member at any time. All are encouraged to help reduce any potential spread of the virus by routinely sanitizing spaces and objects you use in shared or personal spaces.
- In addition to their daily cleaning and sanitizing of spaces across campus, the Building Services team will also increase the disinfecting of all frequently touched surfaces throughout campus to multiple times each day. Frequently touched surfaces include items such as door handles, handrails, restroom fixtures, elevator buttons, tabletops, etc.
- The University asks students, faculty and staff to be active participants and aid in the disinfecting of frequently touched surfaces in order to help eliminate the virus that causes COVID-19.